Many people with Functional Neurological Disorder experience functional movement symptoms which can affect their mobility and some experience visual symptoms including reduced vision. Some people may be no longer able to drive due to seizures. All of these issues can create difficulties with transport.
The Taxi Subsidy Scheme (TSS) is a Queensland Government initiative designed to improve the mobility and quality of life for Queenslanders with a disability by providing access to affordable taxi travel.
Specific benefits of the scheme are:
- A subsidy of half the total taxi fare, up to a maximum subsidy of $30.
- A Lift Payment of $20, as a driver incentive, for each eligible Wheelchair Accessible Taxi (WAT) trip where the TSS member is required to travel in a wheelchair. The Lift Payment is not part of the taxi fare so there is no additional cost to a TSS member.
TSS membership lasts for a maximum of 5 years. To extend your membership, you must reapply before the expiry date.
It is also possible to apply for a 6 to 12 month temporary membership, which may be beneficial in the early stages of FND.
You can apply for the TSS if you are a Queensland resident and meet at least 1 of the following criteria:
- Physical disability requiring dependence on a wheelchair for all mobility outside the home.
- Severe ambulatory problem that cannot functionally be improved and restricts walking to an extremely limited distance.
- Total loss of vision or severe visual impairment (both eyes).
- Severe and uncontrollable epilepsy with seizures involving loss of consciousness.
- Intellectual impairment or dementia resulting in the need to be accompanied by another person at all times for travel on public transport.
- Severe emotional and/or behaviour disorders with a level of disorganisation resulting in the need to be accompanied by another person at all times for travel on public transport.
There is no application cost, however there are costs that may be incurred in preparing your application:
- The application requires 2 passport size photos
- The application requires you visit your doctor or specialist to complete part of the form
- The Department of Transport and Main Roads requires the form to be mailed in.
Other Helpful Information
- Assistance Animals: TSS members can be accompanied by an assistance animal if required.
- Travelling with a Wheelchair: Find information about travelling safely in Queensland with a wheelchair or mobility scooter.
- NDIS participants: The Queensland Government has confirmed that eligible National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) participants can continue to access the TSS until appropriate transport support arrangements are in place, up to 31 October 2025.
How to Apply
Details on how to apply including the downloadable application form can be found at: https://www.qld.gov.au/disability/out-and-about/subsidies-concessions-passes/taxi-subsidy